Tuesday 21 April 2009

She's So Vulnerable

The above is (I presume) the name of a Roxette song... certainly the phrase itself appears a number of times in the song, mostly in the chorus and the repetitive fade-out at the end, so it's a fair assumption. Before I go off on a tangent--because you know I can--I'm going to remark on the point of bringing up that song; namely, the fact that every time I hear it, it makes me think of myself.

I genuinely don't know why I am the way I am. Was I born like this? Overly sensitive and frightened of being hurt and generally cowardly? Or has life made me this way, with all the doors it slams in my face, and all the rugs it snatches out from under my feet, and all the people who drop me in great big piles of smelly shit? Do I do this to myself, with all my sad songs and meaningful movies and heartbreaking books? Is it somehow my fault that I have the soul of a poet, the brain of a psychologist, and the broken, bitter heart of a scared little girl?

Either way. My fault or not, I AM overly... prone to being wounded.

I'm so sorry that sometimes, that makes me all the more prone to being wounding, as well.

No comments: