Monday 6 April 2009

IT Geeks

So. I know a few.

No, really. I know one, at present. One proper fucking thinks-he-knows-it-all fucking computer NERD (this contravenes my definition of the word as well as his, but I'm being bitchy so I'm gonna go with it). He's really tremendously clever, so he comes across when he speaks, and I've no doubt that he knows his shit. His degree is in, oh, computer molestation or whatever, and knowing him, he understood every little segment of what he learned because, well, that's just the way he is. He won't leave anything alone until he understands it better than it understands itself. No doubt his questing, dextrous fingers can send your computer into spasms of ecstasy, the likes of which it's never known. He can probably get it to cook you breakfast and make your coffee just how you like it. He can likely... you get the gist. He certainly thinks he's shit-hot at IT, and I'm inclined to agree with his opinion, since I've seen him do other things well, and he only claims to be okay/not bad at them.

On the other hand. I have a friend who is completely self-taught, with regards to computers. He's good with numbers and logic, and he has a uni degree that would back those claims up, but he's much more understated. I have a webpage, which I don't show around much because it's not completed, and he knocked it together for me--free of charge, because that's the way he is. To his mind, if he can do something in 5 or 10 or 15 minutes, why would he charge anyone for it? And he is strongly opposed to IT guys who, in his opinion, waste billions of £££ every year, by implementing all sorts of unnecessary and fancy shit on websites which, if given his way, he could construct for a fraction of the cost. He claims that his work would be as user-friendly and efficient as anything a proper IT guy could create, and would likely look equally excellent as well. Not to mention it costing a quarter of what Mr. Techno-Big-Stuff would charge for his services. I mean, I understood the inherent flaws in his stuff, as well. Namely, real IT geeks wouldn't cum in their pants over his stuff; but for day-to-day use, it'd be spot-on, and he wouldn't be smug and superior about it.

I told my friend he was the most no-nonsense person I know, and I meant it. He is so without bullshit, it's an amazement to me. I genuinely believe that his IT skills are more than adequate for any task I/the average user would give him. And the lack of macho posturing is incredibly appealing.

And I just have to wonder. Like, how useful a skill is it, to be so good at IT that only die-hard computer nerds can appreciate you? I'm thinking it makes more sense to diversify. Learn something that's gonna help us when zombies take over the world. Show me you can fix an old car or do some simple plumbing or knock together a make-shift shelter in a rainstorm (using only the bounty of nature, your own two hands, and a Swiss army knife of some sort). Don't, like, try to impress me by doing stuff that's so technical and, forgive me, pointless that I can't even follow it. What's even the point, oh wait, I just said there IS none...

Some people have no idea what actually makes a worthwhile human being, as opposed to a nerdy waste of space.

No comments: