Monday 17 August 2009

Period Blues

I thought about calling this the period reds (like in Breakfast at Tiffany's, when she refers to her moods as 'the mean reds'?) but I'm not in that kind of mood. Matter of fact, I'm not in a mood at all--I'm just in pain. So, blue it is. And I thought I'd compose a little stanza or two, just to amuse myself, while I wait for the agony to subside.

Period blues cause aggravation,
Enduring the pains of menstruation,
Red and raw, your insides bleed,
Ibuprofen and Midol are what you need.
Opt for hot baths and an early night,
Don't move too much and you might be alright.

But take comfort in knowing, it could be worse,
Lie back and enjoy your monthly curse,
Unlikely it seems, but it's horribly true
Even periods are better than pregnancy blues,
So take care--and don't let the worst happen to you.

I'm serious. This is crap, but it'll be over (the pain part, anyway) in 2-3 days, and then I'll have most of a month before I have any more trouble with this. If I were pregnant, I would suffer for 9 MONTHS SOLID. And, I wouldn't be able to take any Ibuprofen. Or have a really hot bath. Or lie on my stomach to get a backrub. AND I'd be sick every day, every time I ate, as well.

9 MONTHS SOLID, of pure suffering, and almost nothing that can be done to help you. Unbelievable.

I have 2 beautiful, beautiful babies, and I'm so glad. Because I'd rather suffer immeasurably for 3 days every month for the next 30 years, than go through 9 more months of Pregnancy Hell, once. Thank God you get babies at the end of pregnancy--without something like that to live for, we'd all kill ourselves before the third trimester.

No comments: