Tuesday 6 October 2009

What?

I'm sad. Mournful. Melancholy. For no reason; but worse than that, not only do I not have any reason to be sad, I have a reason to be happy, and I'm just not.

I've just had some great news, and I can't even muster a realistic-looking smile. I should be jumping for joy, I should be giggling with glee, I should be exclaiming with excitement, and instead, I just feel a bit... meh.

Do you know what this calls for? Random song day. Today's song for discussion is the song 'Show Me Heaven,' sung by Maria McKee.

It's *awesome*. As ever, I like the music, but in any song, what really grabs me is the lyric. Certain strings of words are particularly excellent: ''Take my hand, don't let me fall/You've such amazing grace;'' if you know anyone like that, you know what that line means, but I think such individuals are exceptionally rare. I'll explain why that's a great line for those of you who haven't been lucky enough to find such a graceful individual for themselves.

Firstly, it *is* a reference to physical grace, to beauty, to being good in and of yourself; and, it alludes to the fact that the singer is speaking to someone, who, by merely taking her hand, can stop her from falling. All the weight of one person, their mass, their momentum, held still and safe, by the reassuring grip of one other person's hand. I think that's a beautiful concept, as if one person can stretch out their arm and grasp another's hand, and with only the firm, warming touch of their palm and fingers, they can prevent the other from plummeting into nothingness. It's mentioned twice in the song, as well; the second verse contains the line, ''I need your hand to steady me.'' Because, of course, just the touch of his hand will be enough to settle her, to steady her nerves, to make her feel like everything's okay.

What a beautiful idea.

Also, obviously, the phrase 'amazing grace' is a play on words--we all know, or at least know of, the gospel song by the same name. The term 'grace,' in that respect, refers not to physical grace of any sort, but to the concept of God's grace, His willingness to take some of His goodness, His perfection, and pass it along to us, so that we might be saved from the destruction we so richly deserve. The line, 'You've such amazing grace,' is a lovely allusion to the other party's heavenly qualities, their 'betterness,' as opposed to the singer, and their ability to bring the singer up, to a higher level of existence, with their mere presence.

The song *is* called 'Show Me Heaven;' it's going to contain, presumably, some suggestion of aspiring to, well, Heaven/a heavenly way of life.

Finally, the last of my favourite lines from the song: ''I've shivers down my spine/And it feels divine.'' Again, that's a great line purely for the play-on-words factor--it feels 'divine,' as in, wow that's nice, do that again, and of course, it's 'divine' as in, related to the divinity of God. It's quite literally a heavenly feeling. A celestial one. When she sings, ''It feels divine... show me Heaven, cover me,' Maria McKee is singing about being in the sexual embrace of God, or, at the very least, someone she views as a god. She is being touched, pardon the cliche, by something like an angel. In that song, sex is a fiery chariot on its way to the Pearly Gates, and the driver is, at the bare minimum, an agent of the Almighty, if not The Man Himself.

As lovesongs go, that one is a ninja. It's like combining God, and sex... and what else does a girl need?

No comments: